AccuForm Modular Double Head Bender, AFM-xDHx
AFM-xDHx Machine Description
The AFM-xDHx line of equipment is designed with the old four-slide technology in mind but without the time consuming intricate setups, costly tooling and the need for an expert operator. The DH in the model number stands for “Double Head” which means that the machine has two individual bending heads. Each bending head positions along a straight wire and bend it according to pre-programmed data.
A wire feeder module feeds the wire through a straightener and cuts to user pre-defined lengths. These straight pieces are placed in a hopper mechanism, which supplies the benders. An automatic gripper, that optionally (3D option) can rotate, holds the straight wire while it is getting bent. After the part is complete, it is ejected to a part holder or an optional robotic “Pick & Place” arm. The AFDH machine has three independent coordinate systems, or four with an optional Welding Module:
The Feeder / hopper coordinate
The Left Bender and Slide coordinate
The Right Bender and Slide coordinate, and
The Welding Module coordinate.
Since all coordinate systems are independent to each other, they all can work simultaneously, synchronized by a master, which is the Feeder Module coordinate simply because all of them need wire. Although the above seems complicated our SmartEditor™ software generates the algorithms needed by the motion controller automatically. We have built an algorithm that builds motion algorithms!
The user simply enters lengths and angles that comprise the desired part and SmartEditor™ does all the rest. User intervention is allowed if an intricate operation is required as well as absolute coordinate programming, for the more advanced users, where one can enter the exact steps of the equipment.
Besides the simplicity of the programming, machines’ construction is exceptional. Since extreme speeds can be accomplished, the main frame is constructed out of solid steel plates that incorporate special granite with epoxy resin in order for improved stability, minimizing vibrations and increasing speed and accuracy of the equipment. The weight of the Double Head Bender Module is approximately 5500 Kgr. (12,000 Lbs.). Using the latest technology linear servomotors, the bender slides can accelerate up to 4½ G’s, depending on installed options.
For common features please read our page: Common attributes for the majority of our equipment.
The turret option (-T) adds one servo axis per bending head, for automatic and programmable bending tool-changer along with a second bending pin. This provides the flexibility to program changes in the bending tool mandrels, making available four different bend radii. Two Bending pins are available with the turret option; usually one is a roller for generated radii and the other is a hard pin for tight bends.
- Size 1: Each plane consists of 9 “V” groove roller bearings; 5 are stationary and 4 are adjustable. Two different diameters of rollers allow straightening a wider range of wire with just one straightener. Wire range is: 2.7 – 8.0 mm (0.106”-0.315”)
(*) For wire diameter smaller than 2.7 mm (0.106”) a mini straightener option is recommended.
- Size 2: Each plane consists of 11 “V” groove roller bearings; 6 are stationary and 5 are adjustable. Two different diameters of rollers allow straightening a wider range of wire with just one straightener. Wire range is: 4.0 -12.0 mm (0.157”-0.472”)
- Size 3: Each plane consists of 14 “V” groove roller bearings; 8 are stationary and 6 are adjustable. Two different diameters of rollers allow straightening a wider range of wire with just one straightener. This size straightener has a built-in Anti-Torsion system. Wire range is: 6.4 -16.0 mm (0.250”-0.630”)For all of the above, wire linearity is <= 1:1000 at 6mm wire diameter.
Wire Feeding Device:
Used for the feeding and positioning of the wire.
- I. Size 1 & 2:
Consists of four rollers (all driven), one wire guide, sprocket-belt reduction unit, Hi Torque Drive (HTD) Belts and one brushless servomotor.
- II. Size 3:
Consists of eight (8) rollers (all driven), one wire guide, sprocket-belt reduction unit, Hi Torque Drive (HTD) Belts and one brushless servomotor.
Bending Heads, Hopper and Cutting unit: Each bending head is an independent system controlled by a bend axis and a linear position axis capable of reaching speeds of up to 5m/s and acceleration rates of over 4 g’s. Each side, left and right, belong to independent coordinate systems for production flexibility and speed. They can be synchronized or programmed completely independent.
On the Turret version, the bending heads and tool clusters are supplied with both hard and roller pins.
Linear slide Max. Slide Distance: 1780 mm (70”) Slide speed: 5 m/sec.
Resolution: 0.01 mm (0.0004”) Drive: AC brushless linear servomotor
Bending unit Max. Bending angle: +/- 230º Bending speed: 1600º/sec.
Resolution: 0.01º Drive: AC brushless servomotor
For size 1 we use a pneumatic actuated cutting system. For sizes 2 and 3 we use hydraulic cutting system, providing reliability and longevity for high tensile and heavy cutting requirements. The location of the cutting unit is manually adjustable in order to provide flexibility on the production setup. It cuts the wire to a pre-programmed length and then feeds it to a hopper.
*(Optional: 3D) Rotating Clamp: Constructed of heavy-duty tool steel, rotates the wire when fed into the unit at 700˚/s. The rotating clamp holds and rotates the wire around the center of the bender, thus enabling the generation of three-dimensional parts. Maximum part length with a 130° bend is 70” measured from the bend point to the side of the rotating clamp.
Max. Clamp Rotation: 230° Precision: +/- 0.025°
Drive: AC brushless servo motor Transmission: Precision planetary gearbox & belt.
Wire Payoff Turntable: Automatic wire feeder with a Rotary Straightener option is available and includes a 4400 lbs capacity powered payoff unit, pre straightener, length measuring device cutting unit and straight wire transfer mechanism.
- Size 1 & 2: Model P270-5 Fully Automatic Powered Payoff Unit, capable of handling coils weighing up to 2000 Kgr. (4000 Lbs.) 5 Hp AC motor, Automatic speed control, adjustable tension for dancer control arm. Speed range: 5-70 RPM, Rotating base Ø: 1140 mm (45″). Heavy-duty construction with oversized tapered bearings, assuring maintenance free operation. All electrics are supplied from main electrical cabinet; there is no need for a separate electrical connection box.
- Size 3: Model P270-75 Fully Automatic Powered Payoff Unit, capable of handling coils weighing up to 2700 kgs (6000 Lbs). 7.5 Hp AC motor, Automatic speed control, Adjustable tension for dancer control arm, Speed range: 5-50 RPM, Rotating base Ø: 1900 mm (75″). Heavy-duty construction with oversized tapered bearings, assuring maintenance free operation.
Computer: Industrial Panel PC, Integrated acoustic wave touch panel (SAW), LCD color monitor 15”, industrial sealed keyboard with integrated pointing device, high capacity storage hard drive (>=40 GB), 3.5” floppy drive, CD-ROM, 56k modem, Fast Ethernet network ready and video camera for machine monitoring, videoconferencing or service. Operating system is Windows® XP Pro.
- Modular frame construction for easy field installation of accessories.
- SmartEditor XP Pro® programming, office version available for off-line programming.
- Dual processor allows concurrent production and programming new parts.
- Instant Production Statistics for estimating.
- “Dial-A-Service” tech support via modem or Internet.
- Optional extra I/O’s for auxiliary equipment.
- Bender Tool changeover in 8 minutes. Highest overall forming speeds in the industry.
- CAD import of DXF files directly into SmartEditor programming software.
- 2-year limited parts and labor warranty.