Sr. Mechanical Engineer Position
Research, design, evaluate, develop, install, operate, and maintain new and existing AIM products while applying a broad knowledge of mechanical engineering principles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Mechanical Engineer for this role will provide leadership in design, development, optimization and problem solving of high-speed automation equipment and processes. Candidates should have experience across multiple technologies. They will have a demonstrated ability to effectively interface with a broad range of team members in a fast-paced engineering and manufacturing environment.
- Reports to the Engineering Manager and receives direction in the form of project objectives.
- Works with a Lead Mechanical Engineer on multiple R&D projects.
- Leads individual R&D projects.
- Creates and maintains R&D project scope documents to capture the design inputs and ensure the design is meeting the required specifications and cost targets.
- Creates and adheres to R&D project Gantt charts to ensure the project is on schedule.
- Utilizes Solidworks to model new designs and produce detailed engineering drawings.
- Creates machine floor layouts for production and sales.
- Designs and tests customer tooling for wire bending machines.
- Enters parts, assemblies, BOMs (Bills of Materials) and drawings into SAP MRP software.
- Identifies and troubleshoots complex technical issues and provide necessary solutions to eliminate root cause.
- Responsible for revision control and data management. Uses Engineering Change Notice (ECN) procedure for design documentation. Coordinates product activities with engineering, manufacturing, purchasing and quality using the engineering change request (ECR) procedures.
- Collaborates with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, designers and product specialists to optimize designs for cost, safety and manufacturability.
- Supports the Technical Services Department in order to resolve customer support issues.
- Assists in the development and mentoring of peers.
- Checks engineering and sales drawings for completeness and accuracy.
- Collaborate with Sales team in order to:
– investigate feasibility for future designs
– provide information for new products
– provide information for new improvements of existing products
– provide tool list, descriptions and drawings for customers
– Verify, correct and suggest customer quotations and orders
- Occasional travel (1 day per month or less)
- Other duties as assigned
Experience, Knowledge and Skills (Must-Haves):
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited US school
- 3-10 years of Mechanical Engineering experience in Industrial Machinery and/or Automated Assembly/Manufacturing
- General machine design
- Proficiency at 3D Modeling (SolidWorks and EPDM preferred)
- Proficiency with MS Excel and other MS Office software
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills
- Basic knowledge of electrical control of equipment
- Pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Mechanical drives, power transmission, and servo systems
- Proficient oral and written communication
- Some project management and project engineering experience
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task to meet multiple project deadlines.
- Assertive team player who can lead and persuade colleagues.
- Self-motivated individual who proactively follows up with managers, coworkers, customers and vendors.
Breakdown of Daily Activities:
50% Mechanical Design
30% Detailing, BOM’s, Checking, ECNs, Standards/Processes
10% Project Management
10% Production Support
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job include are typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. Occasional travel.
Hiring firm will administer a 2-hour written test and 1-hour Solidworks test onsite. Candidates for the tests will be selected based on resume and questionnaire submittals.
If you are applying please fill out the questionnaire at the following link: